Thursday, March 24, 2011

It’s all in my what now?

Ahh, so I went and met with the new GI doc at Georgetown today.  She disagrees with the previous diagnosis based on the test results that I have gotten so far.  She was also very upfront about the fact that my symptoms and test results don’t point toward any standard diagnosis that she can think of.  Oh yay?

Now for the best part (can you feel the sarcasm?)…   She thinks it might just all be in my head.  She backed up her position by telling me about how they get so many patients that have been through tons of doctors and tests and no one can figure out what is wrong.  So the stress of non-diagnosis fuels the symptoms which aren’t really being caused by an underlying condition. Just the stress. 

This is all fine and good, and yes, doctors look at my medical history and it’s all too convenient to assume that it’s psychological in nature.  Whatever.

I agreed to humor her and try to modify my behavior and attitude to pretend there’s nothing wrong for three weeks.  Then I go back to see her.  If it’s not any better it’s ‘back to the drawing board’ to try and figure out a diagnosis.

I would be happy if I can ultimately just act my way out of being symptomatic, but c’mon, I’m more than a little bit skeptical.  And for good reason.  Who wants to think that they are propagating their illness by worrying about said illness. 

I’ll concede that current stress is likely making my symptoms worse, but I’m still pretty sure there’s something wrong somewhere other than my head.

I also went to see the ENT today.  Hearing test says that the low frequency hearing loss is similar to my last test so that appears to be trauma related (duh) and not deteriorating.  Which is actually good news.
That and he also thinks my dizzy spells are positional and there are exercises I can do at home to help reset the floaty bits in my inner ear to reduce the cause.

He would have gotten five stars if he had been able to clean the tubes out.  Instead I got a bunch of yanking on things that have ultimately gotten stuck on the tube… in the eardrum.  Which equals lots of yanking on the eardrum.  I don’t suggest this to anyone.

Anyway, will be interesting to see what the neurologist has to say tomorrow and end this cycle of testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment